Thursday, March 19, 2009

Our Haunted Rental House that just got sold

One of the bonuses of moving out here to the frozen tundra of Minnesota was that we were offered a rental house at a low low price that would allow us to prepare for our "first" home (yes first!).

We got to Minneapolis in January right at the beginning of what was deemed by many to be "Our Mini-Ice Age" or "The coldest week I've ever seen" or just "Oh my God!". We were fortunate that when we arrived, a neighbor had came in and turned on the furnace to warm up the place. Our first night here, we slept in the staged bed in the attic, under the staged blankets and we were so tired, we didn't hear a sound.......

After a few days, I finally began to notice the "sounds" that this house seems to have. Now I am sure there are perfectly sane, non-ghost, explanations for all the crazy noises this place makes. Buuuuut, I don't waste my time too much on those.

The sounds that can be easily explained are:
1. banging in the walls (water pipes to all the radiators),
2. creaking in the floors near the sunroom or windows (expansion/contraction of wood floor due to poor insulation),
3. door handle jiggle sounds downstairs (wind and/or temperature changes of the door handles outside and inside).

The sounds that wake me up at 2am and prevent me from sleeping on random nights, that I cannot explain:
1. banging in the kitchen
2. door handles jiggling in the bedroom
3. footstep sounds in the attic
4. sound of dragging chains in the basement (ok that's not true, but it would be cool!)

So anyway, the noises don't happen every day, but when they do they are loud enough to wake us up. The first time I was awoke in the middle of the night, it felt like someone was shaking the bed constantly. I actually woke up and woke up the wifey asking her very seriously if she felt the shaking like I did. She pretty much laughed at me with her eyes closed.

Well anyway, we just found out a week ago that the haunted house has been sold. We have until April to get out. Ever since we found out we have to go, the house has been pretty quiet......... Maybe they're saving their energy for the new residents.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That makes you special. Ghost only communicate with certain people. They know you are a night owl. Just be thankful they are friendly ghosts.